A Unique Environment for Advanced Clinical Trials
Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR) offers Iowa State researchers a one-of-a-kind operation to perform important clinical research trials. Severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) swine housed in a bioBUBBLE™ containment environment – maintained with stringent biosecurity practices – provide an ideal platform for organ grafting, cancer and immunotherapy research and more.
- Facilities: The bioBUBBLE™ is a completely enclosed environment, with air entering the enclosure is HEPA™ filtered at rates of up to 60 air changes per hour and positive air pressure maintained constantly to minimize the risk of airborne contamination. All water utilized in the enclosure flows through backflow preventative plumbing and is filtered and treated with UV light.
- Sanitation: Prior to each use, the bioBUBBLE™ is meticulously cleaned and hand sanitized. When possible, research materials are pre-placed prior to the enclosure’s final sanitization with vaporized hydrogen peroxide. Effectiveness of sanitizing is checked by ATPase technology and verification of appropriate H2O2 infiltration.
- Biosecurity: All personnel entering the enclosure adhere to strict protocols regarding personal hygiene and observation of downtime requirements when working with other animals. PPE requirements for entry into the enclosure include gloves, masks, hairnets, and disposable coveralls. Footwear is dedicated and never leaves the enclosure during a research trial.
- Husbandry: The bioBUBBLE™ is served by animal caretakers with decades of experience in the care and feeding of research swine. All feed and milk replacer products are irradiated to minimize contamination. Each individual pig is monitored for appetite and general health at least twice daily with all observations documented.
- Veterinary Care: LAR has a team of trained laboratory animal veterinarians with decades of experience ready to provide diagnosis and treatment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The veterinary staff has provided care to SCID animals for many years and are familiar with the special needs and challenges faced when working with this model.
- Administrative Support: Iowa State has a multi-departmental team of experts ready to help clinical researchers with the mandated approval processes necessary to perform animal research. This includes – but is not limited to – AUP development for submission to the IACUC, IBC submissions, and compliance with EH&S requirements.
- Clinical Support: LAR veterinarians and professional staff are willing and able to provide clinical support for SCID pig research. Researchers may rest assured that their protocols are being followed and clinical samples are handled correctly.
Billing and Contact Information
Billing and Contact Information
- For LAR housing and research support (you will be directed to the appropriate person to answer your questions): LARweb@iastate.edu or 515-294-8507
- For technical information about the model, pricing, and availability, contact Christopher Tuggle at 515-294-4252
As of January 1, 2019, per diem rates for bioBUBBLE™ housing of swine is $80/head with a minimum of $200/day (per diem charges cover housing, husbandry supplies, daily husbandry labor, and standard veterinary care). Study related labor is charged at hourly rates: caretaker – $35, technician – $45, veterinarian – $64. Additional charges apply for study related and veterinary clinical supplies.
(Rates subject to change, call LAR for current pricing and detailed explanations)